Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Refusing To Trust Myself


Thoughts on Michael Wells’ teachings in Sidetracked In The Wilderness - # 4
   

Michael’s book is available through:
 

Abiding Life Ministries International
Littleton, Colorado
(303) 972-0859       www.abidinglife.com

 
In this short excerpt we see Michael giving us the one critical truth regarding our ever having the “abundant life” Jesus talked about, and…Michael’s testimony of what it took for him to find it.  Enjoy this, but most of all: get it!


REFUSING TO TRUST MYSELF

excerpt from pages 15-16 of SIW (used with permission from ALMI):

God’s answer for abundant life will always be unbelievably simple: The Christian must learn to believe and receive its simplicity.  His answers require faith – faith we may not know we possess – not great talent, ability, or intellect.  The problem is not that God places on us a great and difficult task to perform in order to experience His peace, rest, and joy.  On the contrary, the problem is that we place on ourselves these great tasks and set for ourselves a standard of acceptance that is higher than God’s.  Therefore, all who would enter into the life of faith and rest must first experience the struggle and failure that come from their own effort to change.  We will only give up on ourselves and turn to God’s simple answer after we have exhausted every other conceivable resource.  God’s answer is simple, but in order for Him to bring us to a place of accepting it, He must first put us through a series of courses that will exhaust us, leaving us despairing of self and others and prepared to listen to whatever God says with a believing heart.  It is not until man refuses to trust himself that he will begin to trust God.  Many defeated Christians are merely in the process of learning to give up on themselves.

I began my Christian life in simple faith, standing at the foot of the cross.  However, through unbelief I left that position, looking for capabilities within and trusting in self, much like Israel in the wilderness.  The further I journeyed from the cross, the more lost and confused I became until I decided to return to where I began; it was there that I found the simplicity lost!  Take heart, for it is God’s plan to bring all to a life of peace and joy.  “If God is for us, who is against us?” (Romans 8:31)

Travelling around the world, I have found many godly believers who live a life desirable to all of us.  One question that I immediately ask upon meeting such a one is, “How did you get to be such a spiritual person?”

The answer is always the same.  “I don’t know; God brought me this far.”  Not once has anyone told me it was because he belonged to a particular denomination or subscribed to a certain doctrine!  It is rather because God brought him along, so take heart!  God shows no partiality, and He will also take you where you need to go!


Yellow – VIP, Very Important Point      Green – IT, Incredible Truth        
Red – GP, Greatest Promises
Turquoise – UR, Unfathomable Riches           Pink – PV, Priceless Victory



Two things stood out most for me in this day’s writing (even though almost every sentence held a powerful thought):
1.     It takes God putting us “through a series of courses that will exhaust us, leaving us despairing of self and others and prepared to listen to whatever God says with a believing heart.”  REFUSING TO TRUST IN MYSELF.  Seriously!?!  Can I not learn after just a FEW failures!  Yes, that’s me!
2.    And then just like a lightning bolt…”until I decided to return to where I began.”  Yes!  I began “in simple faith, standing at the foot of the cross” just like Michael!  And suddenly, all those verses about living by faith, believing, trusting…they all took on new meaning.  Remember that great gospel hymn:

“Just as I am, though tossed about With many a conflict, many a doubt, Fightings within and fears without, O Lamb of God, I come!  I come!  

        Just as I am, poor, wretched, blind; Sight, riches, healing of the mind,
        Yea, all I need in thee to find, O Lamb of God, I come!  I come!”

 
Isn’t it amazing, it all begins at the foot of the cross in simple faith.  So, how could man move us away from there when Christianity is all about HIM and OUR BELIEVING.  Everything in Christianity is about HIM and OUR BELIEVING.  Simple.

Thank you, Michael, that at the very start of this wonderful book, you have given us the foundation you will build upon to take us back to the foot of the cross in our daily life.

To access ALL past weekly blogs, go to Getting Out of the Wilderness by logging onto www.leemcchristianministries.blogspot.com   If you want to receive each post via an email each week, look to the top right hand side of the page, enter your email address in the box under “Follow,” then click on SUBMIT.  You will receive a “confirmation email,” and when you click on the link and “confirm,” you will receive all new posts via email.

Lee McDowell Christian Ministries
1737 CR 2051    Nacogdoches, Tx 75965                                                 936-559-5696

No comments:

Post a Comment