Thursday, November 20, 2014

A Closer Look At The Unique Self

Thoughts on Michael Wells’ teachings in Sidetracked In The Wilderness - # 45
         
Michael’s book is available through:

Abiding Life Ministries International
Littleton, Colorado
(303) 972-0859       www.abidinglife.com

Notice:  this email is part of a BLOG, called Getting Out of the Wilderness.  Why a blog?  So that many can receive the weekly thoughts I express on Michael’s writings in an easy manner. 

All sorts of books have been written over the years that try to give us the secret of dealing with our insecurities.  Again and again the writers give us exercises in determining how we can improve ourselves, build upon our weaknesses, strengthen our strengths…and the lists of how we can be working to be stronger and more independent go on and on.  Amazing how man cannot be happy with how God has made us.

Michael points out that God has made us to be what He wants us to be…and to remain dependent upon Him.  Well, amen!



A CLOSER LOOK AT THE UNIQUE SELF

excerpt from pages 127-131 of SIW (5th printing, March 1998)
excerpt from pages 125-129 of SIW (14th printing, March 2012)
                   (used with permission from ALMI):


When I disciple those critical of others, I immediately ask the question, “What is it about yourself that you do not like?”  It will often be that they are not as intelligent as their friends, or as attractive, or as talented.  Therefore, since they do not love what they are, they must tear everyone else down, finding flaws to ease their own inferiority.

We are to love our neighbors as we love ourselves.  If that is true then most neighbors are in for a lot of disappointment when it comes to being loved…

There is a great variety of unique selves in the body of Christ, from those who love following a plan to those who never make a schedule, from those who love working with people to those who’d rather deal with things.  All who are expressing the nature of their unique selves under the control of Christ’s life are a great blessing.

It will be important to discern between the three selves, the one that is crucified, the one to deny, and the one that is to be loved.  The reason that I have spent considerable time explaining the baggage, residue, and old identity is so Self #2 can readily be recognized and denied.  Otherwise, one could try to deny the unique self, the one God made, which is quite uncomfortable and unproductive to do.

Do you love yourself?  You should!  It may take some time to become pleased in what God has made you to be, but once you do, you will stop comparing yourself with others and begin to appreciate the rest of the body of Christ…

…God creates those with great talent, ability, and intellect – no one creates himself – therefore, boasting must not be in the unique self, but rather in God.

You see, talent, ability, and intellect are relative.  Each unique self has its own purpose and usefulness.  We have different gifts, workings, manifestations, bodies, and nationalities, but the same Spirit.  Each of us is a different individual, and yet we are all one; together we experience wholeness.  Paul encouraged those who are not content with the unique self (and, therefore, judge God, their Creator) to love what they are, and at the same time warned those who take pride in what God has made them to be.

You may ask, what is my unique self; how can I discern it?  Knowing your unique self is simple and does not take prolonged inward vision.  Your unique self is determined by those things you do naturally and are most comfortable doing (this is different from the behaviors, such as withdrawal, avoidance, and erroneous fears that may develop through false identity messages).

Just remember, however God has made you, enjoy yourself, love yourself, and refuse to listen to those who would intimidate by boasting of their natural abilities.  Whatever measure He has given you, enjoy it.  If you are not as intellectual as another, that was God’s decision, and if you complain, you make yourself out to be the Creator…



Whoa!  What’s that question, “What is it about yourself that you do not like?”  I was just trying to point out something in someone else that is “clearly evident”… not trying to self-analyze! 

Aha.  Michael got me.  And now I have to be honest with myself…what inferiorities do I have?  And if God has made me to be, what am I doing comparing myself with others?  And then will I acknowledge that it may be something that God hasn’t worked out in me yet…or, may never work out in me?

So, Michael once more gives us the way out of the wilderness:
...I am just one of a great variety of unique selves in the body of Christ.
...If I can learn to express the nature of my unique self under the control of Christ, I
can be a great blessing.
...I must learn to love myself, love what I am.
...I must not boast in my unique self, but in God, who made me my unique self.
...I must find what purpose and usefulness my unique self was made to be.

YEA!  This is an easy LIST to accomplish…knowing my unique self is “simple and does 
not take prolonged inward vision”…it “is determined by those things I do naturally and are most comfortable doing.”  Well, amen!

So, I am going to acknowledge God has made me, enjoy myself, love myself, and refuse to listen to those who would intimidate by boasting of their natural abilities.  I will enjoy the measure He has given me.  I am not the Creator, and I will quit playing that role.
  

Note: if you don’t have one of Michael’s Sidetracked In The Wilderness books, please contact ALMI (www.abidinglife.com) and get one today!

To access ALL past weekly blogs, go to Getting Out of the Wilderness by logging onto www.leemcchristianministries.blogspot.com  


Lee McDowell Christian Ministries
leemccm@gmail.com

1737 CR 2051    Nacogdoches, Tx 75965                                  936-559-5696

No comments:

Post a Comment