Saturday, January 10, 2015

Practical Applications of the Cross - Part 1

Thoughts on Michael Wells’ teachings in Sidetracked In The Wilderness - # 52
         
Michael’s book is available through:

Abiding Life Ministries International
Littleton, Colorado
(303) 972-0859       www.abidinglife.com

Notice:  this email is part of a BLOG, called Getting Out of the Wilderness.  Why a blog?  So that many can receive the weekly thoughts I express on Michael’s writings in an easy manner. 


No question there is such a lack of knowledge or understanding, and/or practical use (in our lives) of Jesus’ simple command in Matthew 16:24: “If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow Me.”  Michael gives us his practical instruction on applying the cross to our lives…


PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS OF THE CROSS – Part 1

excerpt from pages 146-152 of SIW (5th printing, March 1998)
excerpt from pages 146-152 of SIW (14th printing, March 2012)
                   (used with permission from ALMI):


…The world, sin, and Satan cry to the believer, “Save yourself.  Don’t take the cross!”  To the degree we save our own self-lives, to that degree we spread death to those around us.  But to the measure that we take up the cross, deny ourselves, and allow the cross to be applied, to that extent we will spread life to those around us.

…How many Christian marriages suffer from shallow self-protectionism?  How many suffer from refusing to die and keeping lists of every loss suffered at the hands of the other, watching for every word that might offend or for an encroachment on precious self?  After all, “me” is all I have, so I must do all I can to protect it.  Don’t disagree with me, don’t neglect me, be careful not to offend me, remember to always treat me with the greatest respect.  The only problem that I really have is that I can’t stand me, either.  Am I any the happier for all the effort it takes?  Is there any contentment in demanding that everyone in the family structure life around me?

…If you decide to retain 25 percent of your old baggage, idols, residue, and lying emotions, than that is 25 percent of the Lord that you will never know.  And if you decide to keep 5 percent of the old self, then you will be missing 5 percent of the Lord that you could have had.  The cross of Christ is the great subtracter, and all who come in contact with it will lose many things.  But all loss will be filled with an abundant measure of His presence.

To the degree that we allow the cross to apply death, to that same degree the Holy Spirit will apply life.  In light of what has been said previously, listen to what Paul says: “Always carrying about in the body the dying of Jesus, that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our body.  For we who live are constantly being delivered over to death for Jesus’ sake, that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh.  So death works in us, but life in you” (2 Corinthians 2:10-12).  Here is Paul’s secret, he appeals to the Death/Life cycle. 



It is a staggering thought that “to the degree we save our own self-lives, to that degree we spread death to those around us.”  I wonder how many Christians around the world have ever given any thought to that?!?

Perhaps, coming aware of what that even means is a big break-through.  Michael’s book right here gives us a look at what spreads “death” to others: self-protectionism, keeping lists of every loss suffered at the hands of the other, watching for every word that might offend, an encroachment on precious self, etc.  Me, me, me, me…don’t disagree with me, don’t neglect me, be careful not to offend me.  And how strange is it: “The only problem I really have is that I can’t stand me”?  Really???

And, then Michael gives us that practical instruction or application…of the cross.  (How beautiful it is that LIFE comes from different aspects of the CROSS!).  “To the degree that we allow the cross to apply death, to that same degree the Holy Spirit will apply life.”  Hallelujah!

And at moments like this, the Scripture comes alive…Michael taking us to Paul’s words in 2 Corinthians 2:10-12.  Can’t you just picture “carrying about in the body the dying of Jesus” a lot differently than before?  And then…”that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our body”…hoooooo-boy!  And, then it is just flabbergasting: “So death works in us, BUT LIFE IN YOU.”  Well, glory be!

Do you SEE the Death/Life cycle?

So, wait a minute…”to the measure we take up the cross, deny ourselves, and allow the cross to be applied, to that extent we will spread life to those around us.”  Amen! 

And so, I have a choice to make: Do I want to spread “death” or “life” to others?



Note: if you don’t have one of Michael’s Sidetracked In The Wilderness books, please contact ALMI (www.abidinglife.com) and get one today!

To access ALL past weekly blogs, go to Getting Out of the Wilderness by logging onto www.leemcchristianministries.blogspot.com  


NOTICE:  another blog…on Michael Wells’ book, My Weakness For His Strength, called Living Life With a Capital “C”.  You can access by logging onto www.leemccm.blogspot.com



Lee McDowell Christian Ministries
leemccm@gmail.com

1737 CR 2051    Nacogdoches, Tx 75965                                        936-559-5696

No comments:

Post a Comment