Sunday, July 27, 2014

Our Controlling Identity

Thoughts on Michael Wells’ teachings in Sidetracked In The Wilderness - # 30
         
Michael’s book is available through:

Abiding Life Ministries International
Littleton, Colorado
(303) 972-0859       www.abidinglife.com

Notice:  this email is part of a BLOG, called Getting Out of the Wilderness.  Why a blog?  So that many can receive the weekly thoughts I express on Michael’s writings in an easy manner.


When I first heard Michael make the statement that defines this section of his book, I had several fleeting thoughts…none of which were positive toward what he had to say.  And then God spoke to my heart and began to show me the truth of this “identity” thing.  Pretty interesting…to say the least!



OUR CONTROLLING IDENTITY

excerpt from pages 84-87 of SIW (5th printing, March 1998)
excerpt from pages 81-84 of SIW (14th printing, March 2012)
                   (used with permission from ALMI):


…write a description of yourself at your very worst moment.  Remember, what you are at your worst moment is your true condition!  When nothing has gone right (Michael gives 6 common occurrences), how would describe yourself?  (Michael gives 15 ways some people respond to times “when nothing has gone right)…

Because we are all the things that we described at our worst moment, it becomes evident that no one will accept or love us.  This realization creates considerable discomfort, since acceptance and love are our deepest needs…

(Michael gives an illustration of how we run to an imaginary sewing machine to make a “success suit” that looks like the impression we hope to make on others, then describes us as a rabbit that tries to “hop” around for however many minutes we can)…When you are living in your success suit, you are merely hopping…the world has the benefit of knowing you in your success suit while you hop, but your family reaps the consequences of knowing the real you.

…One proof that what we are at our worst moments is our true condition is that we have tried to cover it up with the success suit.  Another proof is that people can control us through this identity…
…How a person responds to negative evaluation is a sure test of who he believes he is.  If when told he is a failure someone reacts in anger, it is because he believes that he is a failure.  People in the business of covering up their true identities hang on every word and event, and manifest great hostility when anything confirms their fear of who they really are.



I guess one of the reasons I had the initial negative thoughts concerning the idea of “what I am at my worst is really what I am” was because I had two things that molded my early years (which have greatly impacted my later years):
·         I had a wonderful childhood.  Great memories of years and years of a terrific life from birth to the teen years.  Great grandparents, great parents, a younger sister that was a little bit of a pain early on…but great years.
·         Great results in life’s activities…such that I had a card above my bedroom door that I glanced at time and again as I left to go enjoy life that read: “When you are as great as I am, it is difficult to be humble!”
I just never thought of my “bad” as being anything other than the result of someone else being the problem.

But, Michael opened the door to see many things in my life, and other’s.  And that “success suit” thing was a major breakthrough.  One big reason is because I knew Ephesians 1:6 told me I am “accepted in the beloved.”  Wow!  “Accepted in the beloved”!  Tell me how any acceptance by some other person than God can compare with that?!?  And I had already learned just how much God loved me…together they give me the love AND acceptance of God.  That was 30 years ago.  It just took 15 years before I discovered what I had learned 15 years before had any connection with the “success suit” I had been wearing prior.  The last 15 years have been an uncomplicated life and easy life as a Christian…more than I ever imagined experiencing! 

Keep reading Michael’s book…you will find the love and acceptance of God!


Note: if you don’t have one of Michael’s Sidetracked In The Wilderness books, please contact ALMI (www.abidinglife.com) and get one today!

To access ALL past weekly blogs, go to Getting Out of the Wilderness by logging onto www.leemcchristianministries.blogspot.com  


Lee McDowell Christian Ministries
leemccm@gmail.com

1737 CR 2051    Nacogdoches, Tx 75965                                               936-559-5696

No comments:

Post a Comment